Bristol Is Open: Principle Engineer in Computing Environment
This is a new position for a Principal Engineer in Computing Environment to work on the development of the Bristol Is Open infrastructure and platform for experimentation in BIO’s computing offering. The Bristol Is Open platform, which leverages on an R&D testbed, underpins the aspiration for contiguous ultrafast connectivity, providing the digital infrastructure needed for the economy and helping Bristol to realise its full economic potential. Successful delivery of this plan will be critical to achieving the prime objective: economic growth and job creation for Bristol.
You will join an expanding team working on innovative technology with a chance to use your engineering and communication skills. This is a superb career opportunity to join a genuine world class systems engineering team, interfacing with High Performance Networks, Radio Systems and Wireless Communication Systems functions at the University of Bristol Department of Electrical & Electronic Engineering.
BIO is looking for a bright and committed devops/computing engineer to join the BIO Engineering Team to contribute to the projects and experiments running in Bristol. The Principal Engineer will own on all the aspects associated to BIO’s computing environment: our private cloud, our HPC facility and our future edge computing offering.
She/he will work very closely with the other Principal Engineers in the team and our customers. She/he will also participate in the R&D projects where BIO is involved, including European H2020 projects and international customers projects.
The challenges the candidate will face along with the team are as follows (but not limited to): Integration between our OpenStack-based private cloud with the network controller (Software Defined Network), administering and operating OpenStack, setting up staging scenarios prior to city deployment, planning and supporting the commissioning our HPC facility, designing our future edge computing capability, defining the operational environment for Network Function Virtualisation hosted in our edge computing offering.
Job Requirements Essential
- BS in Computer Science (or equivalent)
- 5+ years of solid experience as DevOps Engineer
- Experience in data-centre systems and/or cloud environments (at least OpenStack)
- Experience in 24×7 uptime and high availability environments
- Knowledge on network management (Infiniband and packet networks in general)
- Experience with version control (Git preferred)
- Extensive knowledge of UNIX based systems including hardware and software
- Strong ability to troubleshoot complex issues ranging from system resources to application stack traces
- Experience in development with scripting languages
- Practical experience of Software Development Life Cycle, Test Driven Development, Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery
Candidate Requirements Desirable
- Knowledge on Compute Engine Management (i.e. Puppet, Chef, Ansible)
- Knowledge on HPC systems (opencompute, Trinity)
- Knowledge on OpenDayLight and Cloud Foundry technologies
- Ability to work in and for the team (comfortable with Agile methodologies)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability and desire to learn quickly
- Ability to work to deadlines while demonstrating a track record for innovation and creativity
Please send a copy of your resume, with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org