Bristol Is Open: R&D Engineer – Wireless and Mobile Networking
This is a new position for an R&D Engineer to work on the development of the Bristol Is Open infrastructure and platform for experimentation in the area of wireless access, wireless transport and mobile networks.
Bristol Is Open platform, which leverages on an R&D testbed infrastructure, underpins the aspiration for contiguous ultrafast connectivity, providing the digital infrastructure needed for the economy and helping Bristol to realise its full economic potential. Successful delivery of this plan will be critical to achieving the prime objective: economic growth and job creation for Bristol.
You will join an expanding project team working on innovative technology with a chance to use your engineering and communication skills. This is a superb career opportunity to join a genuine world class systems engineering team, interfacing with High Performance Networks, Radio Systems and Wireless Communication Systems groups at the University of Bristol Department of Electrical & Electronic Engineering.
BIO is looking for a bright and committed network engineer to join the BIO Engineering Team to contribute to the projects and experiments running in Bristol. The R&D Engineer will work on all the aspects associated to running experiments and projects that use BIO’s wireless and mobile network capabilities, including: Wi-Fi (802.11ac) access, wireless transport links (microwave, millimetre wave), RF mesh (802.15.4 Wi-Sun), LTE mobile network (radio base stations and virtualised Evolved Packet Core), and other experimental 5G technologies (LTE Advanced, M-MIMO).
She/he will work very closely with the Principal Engineer on Wireless and Mobile and our trusted partners for wireless networks implementation. She/he will also participate in the R&D projects where BIO is involved, including European H2020 projects and international customers projects.
The challenges the candidate will face along with the team are as follows (but not limited to): Integration between existing packet and transport network with wireless devices, running experiments in a distributed and heterogeneous wireless infrastructure, operating a converged wireless access along with a programmable backhaul network (SDN), setting up, staging and deploying novel 5G technologies along with the existing infrastructure.
Job Requirements: Essential
- Minimum Degree in electrical engineering or equivalent engineering discipline (specialised in wireless and/or mobile networks)
- Experience in relevant technology environment (telecoms background)
- Understanding of practical implications in technology deployments in field
- Proven experience in managing all or some of the following: wireless networks, DAS, mobile networks, LTE packet core
- Knowledge of CLI-based network device operation
- Skilled in network administration and roll out Candidate Requirements: Desirable
- Telecom operator / MNO / MVNO background.
- Experienced in network programmability: Software Defined Networking (SDN) & Network Function Virtualisation (NFV)
- Notions on open source code development and management tools (e.g. Git, Ansible, etc.)
- Ability to work in and for the team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability and desire to learn quickly
- Ability to work to deadlines while demonstrating a track record for innovation and creativity
Please send a copy of your resume, with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org