BBC Digital Bristol Week 2016 invites creative professionals to an evening workshop and networking event (Fri 13 May, from 6pm) looking at sharing skills, experience and tools in creating content for the Data Dome / Planetarium and exploring ideas for future content and uses. The event includes the first time BBC’s 360 degree natural history footage has been shown in the Data Dome, and, the audience will play the first dome game – Splat Bristol!
The Data Dome is a unique immersive environment for visualising data, showcasing VR and a platform for digital content which connects to audiences in new ways. Housed in At-Bristol Science Centre’s Planetarium, the Data Dome is the UK’s only 3D 4K immersive presentation space featuring a 360 degree screen backed up by a state-of-the-art DTS Digital Surround. The Data Dome is connected to Bristol Is Open – an R&D test bed; fibre, 5G wireless and mesh network linked to a high performance computer.
At Bristol and Bristol Is Open are looking to deepen its collaboration with the local creative community and bring forward new content for the Data Dome.
Book your place for the event on Friday 13 May from 6pm:
This event will:
- See the work of people who have already developed content for the Data Dome
- Hear from the people about how they created content for the Dome – challenges and potential of the space
- Explore playing a game in a Dome environment
- See BBC 360 degrees natural history footage on the Dome, including a special dome performance of Attenborough and the Giant Dinosaur – the BBC’s first mixed reality film
- Think about how we could use the space in the future
- Introduce open source dome developer tools which help you to convert content from Unity to the dome
- Roadmap for future developments and opportunities in the Data Dome
The event is looking to engage with Bristol’s creative community and people interested in creating content for the dome / Planetarium, including: producers, Unity developers, games designers / programmers, VR developers, data visualisers, 360 degree filmmakers, 3D modellers and graphic designers / artists.
There will be networking time from 6pm to 7pm with drinks and snacks (kindly sponsored by University of Bristol). The event in the dome will begin at 7pm.
The event is being jointly organised by At Bristol Science Centre and Bristol Is Open.
More about 2016 Digital Bristol Week
Find out about other events in the 2016 Digital Bristol Week: