A really exciting opportunity
Business Development Commercial Manager
tbc – £50K OTE £70K
Bristol City Council and Bristol Is Open are working collaboratively together to recruit a Business Development Commercial Manager to help realise the city’s SMART City ambitions.
This role is a unique opportunity to ensure Bristol remains the No.1 SMART City in the UK and help realise the art of the possible.
Key functions include:
- Working with managers from both business units you will develop a ‘commercial ready’ service offer – products, people and promotion solutions. Grow existing business, contracts and services
- Help develop and implement new technology upgrades from a commercial perspective. Research, recommend and develop new products and services. Work with customer insight to improve service offer
- Work with other areas and services within Bristol City Council to develop improved and fit for purpose citizen offer
- Explore and negotiate acquisition of other related/complimentary business and services within Bristol City Council, that have synergy with Operations Centre and SMART City services
- Create a pipeline of repeatable opportunities for Bristol Operation Centre and Bristol is Open.
- Working with other businesses and services, analyse and present joint venture concepts
This joint venture is looking for a creative and energetic individual who can innovate, and transform service delivery ensuring that service offer and quality of life for the citizens of Bristol are improved.
Job title: Business Development Commercial Manager
Remuneration: tbc – £50K OTE £70K
Managed by: Head of Operations Centre Manager and Bristol is Open MD
Service area: Bristol Operations Centre and Bristol is Open
Why you will love working for Bristol’s Operation Centre and Bristol is Open
You can make change for good, you will become passionate about the impact your role will have to make significant transformation. Everything is converging, making connections more meaningful than ever. Our ideas impact everything imaginable, from transport, healthcare, and education, to public and private sectors, Smart Cities, and everyday devices in our homes. Here, that means we will take creative ideas from the trial to dynamic solutions that have significant impact.
What you will do
You will identify new market opportunities in the area of Smart Operations and Communities.
Working with managers from both business units you will develop a ‘commercial ready’ service offer – products, people and promotion solutions. Grow existing business, contracts and services.
Help develop and implement new technology upgrades from a commercial perspective. Research, recommend and develop new products and services. Work with customer insight to improve service offer.
To advise and input into relevant Programme and Project teams to develop SMART City platform and service offer.
Work with other areas and services within Bristol City Council to develop improved and fit for purpose citizen offer.
Explore and negotiate acquisition of other related/complimentary business and services within Bristol City Council, that have synergy with Operations Centre and SMART City services.
Create a pipeline of repeatable opportunities for Bristol Operation Centre and Bristol is Open.
You will work with government personnel and partners to position the portfolio of products in transformational opportunities.
Working with other businesses and services, analyze and present joint venture concepts.
Work with marketing to evolve the communication tools and products (including online offer) new and existing channels for marketing and promotion.
Working with both management team, set targets and Key Performance Indicators for commercial operation.
Be an active member of the Operations Centre Management Team, providing reporting against KPIs , representing the Operations Centre and Bristol is Open at key meetings, working with empathy and understanding of Bristol City Councils wider remit and responsibilities
Contribute to development of the both businesses unit plan and overall service delivery plan.
Responsible for ensuring all solutions are feasible, in line with the overall strategy and are deliverable within the time line and budget of the projects.
Identify and manage risks associated with service delivery in conjunction with management.
Work within financial limits, report any adverse financial impacts to line manager and agree remedial action in accordance with the Departmental Scheme of Delegation.
Procurement of materials and services, in accordance with Council policy, up to the designated limit in consultation with line manager.
Communities are looking to increase their use of technology to improve transportation, better protect their citizens, generate economic development opportunities and improve urban resiliency.
This role will build a pipeline of strategic opportunities critical to the success of Bristol Operation Centre and Bristol is Open which will position us the as a thought leader in Connected Communities with a cross jurisdictional focus on cities and regions.
All employees should have a personal commitment to and a shared responsibility for, their own development and training needs.
Who You Will Work With
You’ll be working within a matrixed team of incredibly passionate and collaborative Public-Sector teams, including; research and development, business development, marketing and product business units. Business Development transformation is core to the role ensuring that we Protect, Serve and Educate our citizens. We connect people and technology, and we innovate in all facets of our work, from customer satisfaction to operational excellence and mission success. We support our customers by focusing on their needs, by owning their problems, by building relationships, by simplifying technology, and by delivering profound impact on services.
Who You Are
- You are a self-starter that knows how to build relationships, position “end to end” solutions and articulate value to customer executives and partners for must win programs, accounts and opportunities.
- You are knowledgeable of city and municipal operations, public and private funding models, cross jurisdictional operations crossing city, regional, national and international organizations and major integrators and solution providers.
- You are skilled at communicating at multiple leadership and management levels within the assigned markets and related partners.
- You build executive relationships, articulate Bristol Operation Centre and Bristol is Open proposition and business strategies and create win/win scenarios for the customer and our partners in Connected Communities.
- You negotiate solutions and resolve issues with peers, partners and customers employing an outcome where everybody wins philosophy.
- You have the ability to do market research and analysis leading to decision on pursuit of the market. Analysis should include business needs, decision makers and their concerns, funding models, Bristol Operation Centre and Bristol is Open’s ability to satisfy the requirements and preparation of a market solution in Connected Communities.
- You create targeted solutions in conjunction with assigned architects to create repeatable solutions aimed at the target market.
- You understand relationships with key partners such as system integrators, technology providers and service providers to enable a go to market approach with and through identified partners.
Our Minimum Requirements for This Role
- Achieved BSc/BA or equivalent
- Experienced with Strategic, Consultative Account Planning, well developed Client facing skills.
- Significant experience working in industry within the following areas; traffic and transportation, public safety or city/management and/or bidding and winning large solution programs
- Expertise in some, but not exclusively, of the following areas; Enterprise Applications, Software Automation, Managed Services, Security Solutions. Fibre and Fixed Network Management Systems Servers and related software,
- Demonstrated ability to understand and interact with senior level management including Chief Executive and Chief Officer levels
- Ability to develop comprehensive solutions and to articulate the business benefits of those solutions against program requirements very early on in the acquisition process to shape the opportunity.
- Ability to work independently against long term goals in a matrixed dynamic environment.
- Ability and interest in association participation in relevant markets to include speaking and writing activities.
Key job outcomes / accountabilities
- Develop support team to ensure commercial service delivery (or even commercial team to alleviate the ‘ask on Operators)?
- Introduce agreed revised products and services by (to be agreed)
- Growth of existing and new services (to be agreed) % by (to be agreed)
- Introduce new business to the Operation Centre – meeting and exceeding targets of (to be agreed) and (to be agreed) within (to be agreed) months/targets?
- Develop new partnerships within Bristol is Open to deliver funded R&D projects that meet tangible SMART City collaborative working targets
- Adopt a LEAN approach to delivering commercial services within the Operations Centre, ensuring savings and continuous improvement
- Develop, enthuse and inspire team towards commercial model measurable customer service
This job description sets out the key outcomes required. It does not specify in detail the activities required to achieve these outcomes.
A. So far as is reasonably practicable, the post holder must ensure that safe working practices are adopted by employees and in premises/work areas for which the post holder is responsible to maintain a safe working environment for employees and service users.
These are defined in the Corporate Health, Safety and Welfare Policy, departmental policies and codes of practice.
B. Work in compliance with the Codes of Conduct, Regulations and policies of the City Council.
C. To model and promote good equalities practice and value diversity across the service.
D. Ensure that output and quality of work is of a high standard and complies with current legislation / standards.
If would like to know more and would like to apply, please contact email@example.com
Application Deadline 29 May 2018
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org