Bristol Is Open: Principle Engineer IoT/IoE
The position of Principal Engineer has become vacant, this person who takes over this role will work on the development of the Bristol Is Open infrastructure and platform for experimentation in the area of the Internet of Things (IoT) and/or the Internet of Everything (IoE) with strong links to the data and computing technologies supporting them.
Bristol Is Open platform, which leverages on an R&D testbed, underpins the aspiration for contiguous ultrafast connectivity, providing the digital infrastructure needed for the economy and helping Bristol to realise its full economic potential. Successful delivery of this plan will be critical to achieving the prime objective: economic growth and job creation for Bristol.
You will join an expanding project team working on innovative technology with a chance to use your engineering and communication skills. This is a superb career opportunity to join a genuine world class systems engineering team, interfacing with High Performance Networks, Radio Systems and Wireless Communication Systems groups at the University of Bristol Department of Electrical & Electronic Engineering.
BIO is looking for a bright engineer who can create and lead solutions & technology for Internet of Things (IoT) experiments in Bristol. The tasks will include system design, network design and development of proofs of concept leveraging on existing software tools. Additionally, integration with a private cloud system (OpenStack) will be needed to ensure the solution is replicable, so the candidate may face cloud/edge computing engineering problems.
Job Requirements: Essential
- Minimum Master’s Degree in computer science, software engineering or equivalent engineering discipline.
- Knowledge of IoT-specific technologies and protocols (e.g. CoAP, LWM2M, etc.)
- Notions on constrained-resources computing devices (i.e. Single Board Computers)
- Knowledge of IoT-specific platforms (e.g. FIWARE, Intel, etc.)
- Knowledge of networking and network management
- Knowledge of scripting languages (e.g. Ruby, Python, bash, PHP, etc.)
- Understanding of software design for distributed systems and SQL/non-relational databases
Candidate Requirements: Desirable
- Understanding of serving/consuming web service APIs
- Notions of hardware programmability for SBC, white boxes or FPGA boards
- Understanding of cloud systems (OpenStack or public clouds)
- Knowledge on Software Defined Networking (SDN) & Network Function Virtualisation (NFV)
- Knowledge on Linux Containers or similar technologies (e.g. LXC, Docker, etc.)
- Experience on open source code development and management tools (e.g. Git, Ansible, etc.)
- Ability to work in and for the team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability and desire to learn quickly
- Ability to work to deadlines while demonstrating a track record for innovation and creativity
Please send a copy of your resume, with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org